Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Do You Dream Of?

Have you ever thought about what your dream job will be like?


I have.

For as long as I can remember, I have been believing that dream jobs are possible. A dream job is anything that you have always dreamt of doing when you were young, or developed an interest along the way. It could be being a TV show host, teacher of autistic kids, or a dancer on a world stage, or not being in a desk bound job (I hear this very often).


I’ve had my opportunities with my dream job. I used to be in TV Production and I enjoyed it because it is not desk bound (yayhoo!), I get to meet a lot of people and visit very interesting places that I wouldn’t get a chance to on any given day (Tan Tock Seng’s grave? Entering a n abandoned house with historical value on Pulau Ubin?)


I have since given that up because life has evolved and I have moved on from my boundless energy that sprang forth from curiousity of my post teen, pre young adult years. For a good 2-3 years after I stepped away from the TV scene, I struggled with keeping on my journey of a dream job. I am stubborn so that did not help. I struggled and kept struggling. I will, I want, I must have!


My search for a dream job left my partner and I frustrated and most of the times, poor (all my dream jobs usually under underpay).

Then I had an epiphany.

A dream job doesn’t necessarily have to be a job of your dreams. It doesn’t have to be a high flying doctor, lawyer, Indian chief or whatever you dream of (clown, TV star, tai-tai, pilot, a mascot). I know there is saying that digs ‘Work in a job you like and you will never have to work a day of your life’. That is true, but let’s loosen up a bit.


A dream job doesn’t have to be a job of your dreams.

It can also be a job that HELPS fulfill your dreams. It is a job that gives you time and freedom to pursue your interest or pays you well enough to take that month long holiday that you have been dreaming of. It might even equip you with skills to do what you like and feel satisfied with life and bless you with finances to be a blessing to others. That’s the real joy of life, no?

Since the epiphany, I have set my mind and channeled my energy to doing well in my job (albeit not dream but fun and very comfortable) and using it to springboard and finance my interests. And I realize that it still works out for my good.

As they say, all things work for good.

So, what are you dreaming of today?



1 comment: