Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Book Review: Giants of Asia - Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew


I haven't been writing for a while (obviously) and the last I did, I promised to do a book review on the Giants of Asia - Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew piece when I was done reading it. Truth be told, I had finished it sometime back and have passed the copy on to be borrowed. But since National Day had just passed, this moment might be most appropriate.

I was greatly inspired by the book having felt like I was given a secret seat by the fireplace with the Grandfather of Singapore. Unlike the other biographies or books on him, this book differs in tone and heart. It might be the author who was daring enough to add humour into a written piece about grandfather Lee. It could be the paper stock they used to print it on, giving it a slightly classy yet fun feel. It could be the font (I am a fontist) among other reasons. But I came to a conclusion that it was simply LKY opening himself up unbashedly to Tom Plate, who freely wrote and represented the grandfather in an almost caricature way (therefore the cover).

The main thread that ran through the entire book was a heat pad. Yes, a heat pad that LKY was fiddling with and had placed on his knee throughout each interview held over 2 days. Shifting it, adjusting it, making it give him comfort. He was in some pain, but what sort we are not told. The heatpad, the star of the book doesn't divulge us as well. The only thing it suggests is that LKY is not as robust as he used to be in his 1965 days where he valiantly lead the country into independance. But yet though his physical being is weakened but the heart that fiercely ploughed Singapore through third-world status to first still burns with pride.

I am a patriot and I and passionately proud of being a Singaporean. I know of lots of people from different generations that are skeptical about LKY and everything he does and young Singaporeans make up this majority. We have not gone through the Japanese Occupation or when Singapore proudly turned independant. We were not there during early nation building days when water had to be rationed or uncertainties wrought the land. And therefore, their excuses for being skeptical is that LKY rules with an iron fist, he is an Asian Hitler, he runs Singapore like his family business. But we speak with ignorance that we do not know we should be embarassed of.

LKY is deeply respected by great leaders around the world. Deng Xiaoping looked to him on how to wake the Chinese sleeping giant, of which LKY was somewhat responsible for the opening up of China today. LKY gave America advice on the Vietnam war and Henry Kissinger wise insight on the affairs of America (if you must know, they came to him, not him to them). LKY was late for his 2nd day interview because the Vice President of Indonesia was visiting to get some TLC from Grandpa Lee because he was facing problems with his President.

When we do not know the heart of a man, we doubt his actions. But if you will make a trip down to the Library and borrow a book (I forget the name) that has bound page to page quotes from LKY, you will know that his heart since 1959 was to make Singapore good for the people. When Singapore first became independant, he was quoted as saying, "This has to work. I am not responsible for just myself and my family. I am responsible for the many citizens and their families that trust their lives with me". That is the responsibility he carried and I must say he has done damn well.

I find it hard to do a review on the book without gushing in admiration for the person but I must say that if you found his previous (LKY, not Tom Plate) books boring and dry, you should give this a shot. It is refreshing  and humourous and like I said, once you know a man's heart, you will trust his actions.

1 comment: